Some of the physical characteristics we have discussed include:
- Area of 5000-6000 square feet, based on 6 units of 600-700 square feet each, and common space of 1500-2000 square feet
- Sprinkler systemThe average cost for a fire sprinkler system are as follows: A complete fire sprinkler system integrated into a new construction project costs about $1 – 2 per square foot. This includes equipment and installation. Retrofitting an existing building usually costs between $2 – 7 per square foot.
- Elevator capable of accommodating at least two people, one of whom is using a wheel chair.
- Wide entry area with bench or chairs, cubbyholes or other storage for boots and shoes, ample closet space.
- Doorways 39 inches to accommodate wheelchairs if needed.
- Levered door handles; window cranks
- Reinforced grab bars and towel racks
- Individual shower/tubs in units; common accessible tub.
- As close as possible to net-zero energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. E.g., incorporate high R-value insulation, ground source heat pump, solar cells, drain water heat recovery, low volume flush toilets, LED lighting and other features as may be available and economically feasible.
- Spacious, well-equipped kitchen permits several people to engage in food preparation and clean up. Commercial dishwasher.